Transforming the Underground
The London Underground is synonymous with London. And has its origins as the world’s first underground passenger railway all the way back in 1863. It serves 1.8 million people a day, for a total of almost 300 million a year. It has 11 lines and serves 272 stations.
They wanted to shift their colleagues mindset from one of running an operational service, to that of putting customers first over a five-year transformation.
Simultaneously there was a complete restructure of station management and the introduction of mobile technology that would see staff interacting with customers in an entirely new way.
Alchemist developed relationships with key stakeholders and were able to carry out continuous activities over the whole transformation period. These activities included – engaging with stakeholder groups, practical assessments, mystery shopping, interviews, presenting prototypes to representative populations, and script and storyline sign off events.
Alchemist blended online learning with face-to-face workshops, webinars, conferences and assessment centres. All formats provided interactive, social and practical learning interventions.
Alchemist’s programme won a multitude of awards.
- Training Journal Awards: Best Customer Service Programme 2016 (Gold), Best Change Management Programme 2016 (Gold), Best use of Technology in Learning 2016 (Silver)
- Princess Royale Training Awards: Excellence in Training 2016
- Learning Technologies Awards: Best Learning Game 2016 (Gold)
- CIPD People Management Awards: Best Change Management Initiative 2016 (Silver)
- Personnel Today: Excellence in the use of HR Technology 2016 (Gold)
- E-Learning Awards: Best use of Blended Learning 2016 (Gold), Best eLearning Project in the Public Sector 2016 (Bronze)